Sunday, June 27, 2010

Term-inates

This blog from me, as the first term of PGPX ends at IIM-A, is a tribute to all those interesting events that unfolded in Term-1.

As we near Term-2 the much awaited rain brings some sanity or more precisely insanity to our newfound campus lives. Its unbelievable how we cruised past these 3 months in a pressure cooker called CR11*. I always wondered the rationale behind starting this program in the harsh April of Ahmedabad rather than in the milder months of August or September as most other B-Schools do. After being here for over 2 months the reason is clear as a crystal. Which other season can best camouflage the intensity of the program than Gujarat's summer?

Getting back to school after an average of 10 years wasn't just challenging but also humbling. It made us realise how old we are. Learning was not an issue for the 80 odd brains; Staying alert (read 'Keeping awake') was. And if one has to learn effectively I think staying alert is key. Before landing here I had knowledge of the compressed nature of this course. Little did I know that a lot of things get compressed including sleep.

But one thing is for sure. I learnt 'strategy'.. strategy to keep myself awake despite the drowning sleepiness. And its a simple and a funny one. When the urge to fall asleep is irresistible; when you are fighting a losing battle to keep those red eyes open; when you are unsuccessfully trying a Kevin Spacey to pretend you are wide awake - thats when you look around the class to see your other partners in crime. Their struggle with their drowsy eyes to keep them wide open & their falling heads, waking them up temporarily - they all never fail to make me feel like laughing. Nothing wakes me up than the effort to control my laughter.

Another interesting event worth mentioning is the placement elections that took place in near Indian style. How I wish I knew this before hand. I could have quenched my thirst a little bit in this dry state. Or I could have demanded a sumptuous dinner at Vishala. Never mind the opportunity lost, but one thing was more evident than others. Those folks who cared less about me seemed to know me better than I thought they did. Or was it the election effect. Now that the election is history I wonder where they are.

Overall, it was a refreshingly interesting journey so far. It can only get more interesting from here. I am sure of one thing though - I will enjoy every bit of it. After all I need the return on my investment!

*CR11 - Class Room 11

No comments: